Leveraging Hidden Expertise
The Welcome Back Centers focus on addressing a desperate shortage of qualified medical
personnel not by creating a new workforce from scratch, but by providing the tools needed for
those possessing expertise from other countries to effectively transfer their qualifications here
and to function in the American healthcare system. The program has been tremendously successful
in this regard; since its inception,
- 1,371 people validated their credentials.
- 766 people passed a licensing exam.
- 283 people obtained licenses in their original professions.
- 472 people entered new careers in health.
- 821 people obtained new employment in the health sector.
- 55 M.D.s have been accepted into residency programs.
The model is easily replicable, and has generated interest nationwide.